J.Rut....2010

J.Rut....2010
Hello world.

Bloggin' it up for the first time...

I'm giving it a go because 1.) I LOVE to write and tend to get what they call "diarrhea" of the mouth sometimes when I'm talking to others. Like they'll ask me a question and ten minutes later I can tell they're like, "Good God, why did I even ask." So I'm not the most observant individual, but I can get a hint when somebody's had enough. I can easily sympathize with that feeling because I feel it quite often. That's really why it bugs me so to realize when I'm doing that to other people. This blog should be a good outlet for free writing and whatnot. It's for me. I'm funny though, so you may want to read it. You may not. I'm not going to lie, I'll probably think you're a bit of an asshole if you don't find my blog (And no, I don't mean this tiny piece of crap I'm writing now! I mean future blogs!) to be worth reading. That's ok though, there are many people on this earth who think whatever they think about me and I will NEVER ever know.....How well do we really know people anyway????? I plan on discussing this matter in much greater detail on a later date.) But since I'm a newbie to the blogging community I've got no idea who's going to get ahold of whatever I write.With that in mind, My 2.) I've got a hell of lot to say about all sorts of things, and I'm getting to the age where I have no choice but to say it. It's a learning process...an opportunity for me to flex my writing muscles and to unload. So here goes nothing. It's not like i'm going to the moon or anything...I'm quite aware that almost everyone has a blog or has had one at one time, so since it's new to me, I'm not sure if this will be one of those new hobbies that lasts three days or several years... The former is how I roll naturally, and the latter is unusual, but has happened increasingly in my life.....mainly due to the art....(also to be discussed at a later date). Ciao for now.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I'm still new at this blogging thing....but writing is good.

So I'm always leaving like 20 line long comments on facebook, which led me to believe that maybe I need to blog as opposed to being annoying. So, naturally, I decided to come here. I am a newly hired art teacher, as I am to blogging. Both require commitment, but teaching pays. If I could sit around and write all day, I'd love it. I adore writing and the artful arrangement of words that tickle the mind. I need sentences that take me on the journey to the next (sentence). It's hard to keep my attention. I make myself read because it is good for me. As I've heard (not sure if I agree,etc) but it doesn't matter what you read as long as you indeed do read. But if you read crap, won't it make you dumber? I believe so, but that's just me. (i.e. the Twilight series) I did read the first book and it was like 24 hour self-indulgent fluff-fest. I also know that reading the Bible is an effective cure to insomnia. haha. I choose to look at that as God knows I need sleep. As for the teenage vampire love story that his this country going nuts, I think it's great if it gets people to reading who wouldn't otherwise. I credit Harry Potter for doing that for me, but if I'm being honest (and this is a confession) I read before, but I was into those self-help books. Hahaha. You know, the one that business leaders recommend that are all about positive thinking and all that crap. That was a non-creative time in my life. By using my sharp deduction skills, I can figure out that "if I was reading those books, and not being creative, then it's the books fault. Then I found Harry, but then I found Tom Robbins. His use of the English language is like nothing I've ever seen. He has the way to keep me moving through words til I finish a sentence, then a paragraph, then a chapter, and then my mind is blown. Yes, his stories are fanciful, even whimsical, but he hits the nail on the head with his observations regarding humanity.
What else? Oh yeah...
I've been house-sitting for my good friend and she has two very large and very sweet dogs. My engine blew up and I have no car. In a nutshell, i'm here, in my friend's house, with these two huge dogs all up in my business (love their hearts) with no way out. It's like I'm held hostage with excellent tv channels, a refrigerator full of food, and limitless internet.
I have gotten a lot done, as far as curriculum planning. Once I figure out what I'm actually teaching, as I found out yesterday that I will be teaching junior high and three high school classes. This was news to me as I was originally hired as the junior high (7th and 8th grade) teacher. I'm not much on planning, but the career I've chosen requires a good bit of planning, at least initial planning. Somehow in the craziness that has been my mind over the past five years, I always knew I would eventually be an art teacher. Little did I know the challenges I would ultimately face throughout the entire ordeal. But, I will say, in spite of a broken spirit, lack of skills in many art areas, and various health issues, I had the good sense to see that was what I'd have to go through to get to this point. Harding's entire art program is based on the fundamental standards of realism and the Renaissance. Even in Modern art history class, we spent about half the semester on the Renaissance. They've brainwashed me, not that i don't love the Renaissance. I read the Agony and the Ecstasy as I traveled through Italy with the art department. I know and love Michelangelo. I'm a sucker for it all. Is that the style of art I aim for in my own work? Would I even enjoy the works if I didn't have the training? Well, first of all, no, I am trying to get out of the mindset that realism and "drawing from life" is not the only way to produce "good" art. Secondly, I had the wonderful opportunities to travel throughout my first college go-round and I went to Florence and saw the David. It was very powerful, and if anything, made me realize where my own heart truly belongs...to art. To creating. As I do my own lesson plans, I realize the importance of not letting people slip through the cracks like I did. I was misled by the business world, thinking that was the only way. Unfortunately, it wasn't my passion. This led to a nervous breakdown and a large pharmacy bill. Not the right way, but it had to happen. I know nothing going into this. I do know, from my student teaching experiences, that very few people are even minutely interested in art and artists' lives to the degree I am. I'm in deep. I finally found a pen in my friend's house (I'm house-sitting, remember) and got a chance to draw a bit. It's ingrained. I imagine I will eventually be led to surrealism in my style. During one of my backpacking through europe experiences, my friend, cousin, and i visited the Dali museum in the Montmartre area. I didn't need to know the rich art history of the area. I could sense it. The Dali museum is really what got me deep down and pulled it to the surface. It had to happen. But fresh out of MBA training what does one do? I've decided to pursue art. So cliche, I know, but it was real. It bothered me until I started creating again. Funny enough, now that I'm getting the chance to fulfill my destiny, I still feel that itch for greatness and i still feel that none of my art is ever good enough. Anyway, that's not the point. It's not about me or how I feel really. When I do figure out what it's all about I'll blog it or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment